Thursday, March 6, 2014

March Q&A & 40 Days of Gray

Good morning, good morning! Wake up, my sleepy little blog! This was supposed to get posted last night, but I fell asleep. Pay attention, now. We have a busy day in store for us.

March is Question and Answer month in the ttwd corner of blogland. So, in the spirit of not being a complete ghost on my own blog, I'm joining others who've opened up their blogs for questions from the audience. I know a defunct blog such as mine has no audience, but there are a handful of followers still showing up. If you find me again, ask away. I will be attentive to comments and answer as best I can.

The other reason for this post is Willie's fault. You can read all about what prompted this over at her place, Barney Married Wilma. Apparently, I can't imbed links from my phone, so look here:
barneymarriedwilma.blogspot.com/2014/03/40-days-of-fitness.html?m=1

She is making all of us participate in "40 Days of Fitness" (Willie, a parody on 50 Shades? Really?!) beginning yesterday, or today...or tomorrow for proscrastinators and folks who had chicken for lunch. I think she likes to hear friends moan and groan about giving up things such as wine and chocolate, and finds wicked delight in knowing we will feel the pain and burn of muscles too long dormant. Pfft.

Willie made a cute banner for our Fitness posts. If you want to join in, you'll have to go grab it off her blog. My banner should be right up there somewhere ^^^, but of course I can't insert it because I'm because I'm blogging from my phone. (Google wants me to activate some Google+ backup shenanigans that will share my phone photos, just so I can upload the banner. Umm, not trusting that!) Willie also has achievement stickers, and more good info on this challenge.

......Oh, phoo.

Okay, okay, Willie isn't trying to force us into horrid deprivations and coerce us into self-inflicted severe punishments. She cares about us getting healthier and more fit, and having fun while being publicly, anonymously accountable to each other. She is Willie the Good Little Witch. ;-)

Enough talk about our feisty friend. So, what am I going to do for these 40 Days of Gray? Well, I'm going to emulate Willie, of course!

Drink more water, less coffee (ugh)

Cut out white sugar (except for the tiny amount in my daily small piece of dark chocolate)

Exercise 30 minutes per day without pretending  housework such as vacuuming and laundry is exercise (sheesh)

I wish we had more fresh veggies readily available :-( but I still well try to eat more healthy options.

I need to work on some projects, so perhaps I should give up procrastinating. :-) Maybe this is a work in progress...

Oh, hey! Lookie down below. My phone browser or Google chose to imbed the link at the bottom of the post instead of where I selected it to go up above. Proof of phone possession by Google-ies. Wish I knew who to spank over at that place for this "free" stuff. Rotf! ;-)

Awkwardly ending this post now. Don't forget to ask me a question for March Q&A!

barneymarriedwilma.blogspot.com/2014/03/40-days-of-fitness.html?m=1

40 comments:

  1. HOLD THE PHONE! First of all, I wasn't even thinking about 50 Shades. Sheesh how misleading.

    Now what is this garbage about ACTUALLY exercising? You mean vacuuming and laundry DOESN'T count ? Oh Hell. I'd pull my post but somebody LINKED it here. Sigh

    You are right about one thing, misery does love company...as for the adjective before witch, well not sure about that one ;)

    love
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, yeah, willie, I thought you would deny that connection. ;-)

      Glad I could help out with the link back. I know - vacuuming should count. I have to slog through the ice-crusted mud soup in 18°F weather if I want to walk off my supper.

      I'm right about many things, and I'm not in misery yet, but I love your company. Hope I didn't tease too much. ;-)

      Thanks for stopping by. I'm so unaccustomed to visitors here! Lol!

      Hugs...

      Delete
  2. Oh and in response to your question spot, I kinda know more than I need to already! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! This deserves the first reply. Sorry for tmi. Zipped lips from here on. Whistling...

      Delete
  3. In honor of the fact that you put up with a post, I must think of a question, but first I must eat some breakfast and have more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susie. So very good to see you. Hugs!

      I've had no sugar in my coffee all day, and drank 16 ounces of water so far.

      Delete
    2. You are a nut! I have had sugar in all my coffee an d a small piece of chocolate. I am seriously considering exercise tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. Baby steps for me, Susie. Lol! Did you exercise?

      Delete
  4. ???? I can't think of any. I don't use sugar in my one cup of coffee (stevia) instead. I drink lots of water. As for the 30 minutes of exercising - yeah, right.
    See ya later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sunny. Glad to see ya!

      I've only started drinking coffee with sugar the past several months. I always liked my coffee black, or with French Vanilla (ha) creamer as a treat. D corrupted my coffee with his sugar habit. Time to quit blaming him and get back to form.

      I know how you feel about the "yeah, right." I truly do need to be more active, though. I think an indoor exercise/wave pool fits my bill. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Well, I had been avoiding that particular post, I didn't really WANT to get off my behind and exercise! Achievement stickers, you say? That changes everything now. I guess I'll have to stop in and see what Willie torture, oops, I mean fun, Willie has in mind for us :)

    Questions. That is way easier, at least for me, since I'm doing the asking :) Lets see......

    What's your favorite way to relax? If you could only have one would you chose to have a TV or a radio? What's the best book you've ever read?
    How well do you think you'd do on a reality show like Survivor?

    Hope there isn't a one question limit, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Queenie. :-) See, I knew it - you thought Willie was planning torture, too.

      I'm such a resistant blogger. I don't know if I will keep up with updating during the 40 Days of Gray unless I'm prodded. Sigh. ;-)

      No limit on questions, but my answers may be limited if I don't have answers. Here we go:

      What's your favorite way to relax? Spending time with D, my children, my mother. Other than that, if there is a newborn baby nearby who needs holding, I'm always ready to oblige. That is one of the most peaceful, relaxing and sweet things to do.

      If you could only have one would you chose to have a TV or a radio? Probably radio, because it's portable.

      What's the best book you've ever read? The Bible

      How well do you think you'd do on a reality show like Survivor? I've only seen this once, a few years ago, so hope I am thinking of the correct show. Teams of people bickering while trying to survive, odd challenges, voting each other off, etc? Right now, I would struggle with some of the more difficult physical challenges. I wouldn't even want to be involved in any of the rest of the drama. Pass. In real life, you would want to be on my team. We would figure out a way to survive together.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for answering Irishey :) Love the answers, especially the part about holding a newborn. Is there anything better in life!Yes, you are thinking of the right reality show. I was thinking that you would be very, very good at the strategy part, but to your credit, not so good with the crazy drama stuff. Oh, I am on your team! Good luck with the 40 day challenge BTW.

      Delete
    3. Queenie, they strategize? I don't remember that part, unless you mean scheming to cause others problems? Cutthroat! Lol! Is this show still on? I may have to watch it again.

      I am a good strategist, but I might have issues implementing plans geared to "destroy" anyone except a real enemy as opposed to a game enemy. Lol!

      Crazy drama stuff is unnecessary, unproductive, hurtful. Diffusing it and dealing with the aftermath is in my skill set, but good grief - why should we have to deal with such shenanigans? I try my best to avoid that now that I don't have to work in that environment and am no longer married to it. Peace is so much better. Fun theater and games drama is great, though! ;-)

      Delete
    4. Irishey, in my mind part of the crazy drama is the cutthroat backstabbing, lying, blindsiding stuff, lol! The strategy is figuring out how others are going to vote and react. Some play by trying to fly under the radar, others try to be the leader or the most useful around camp. All of those have failed in some games and been successful in others. It does still come on. You're really not missing much though :) To me, even a million bucks isn't enough to go through that! The Amazing Race would be much more fun!

      Delete
    5. Queenie, I concur on all points. Survivor sounds like Mean Girls (and Guys) on steroids. I watched The Amazing Race part of the first season, then lost track of it when my schedule changed, but I agree it looked like fun! I forgot about it until you mentioned it. I may look that one up. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonderful challenge, Irishey! Lots of luck of the Irish to ya! :) Willie's program looks good, and I need to get to running again. I simply cannot get there in my head at the moment. Think it is all this snow covered ground and frost in the room where the treadmill sits. Excuses I know...

    What do you think are the top two most important things in your relationship? Would your man say the same?

    Thanks in advance and many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katie darlin'! Tell me, dis your treadmill have any issues because of the extreme temps? I thought of putting mine on our screened porch and covering with tarp when not in use, but was afraid moisture and extreme hot/cold might ruin it. It's stored right nite because no room in the house to use it. Um, excuses, I know. :-(

      I think the top two most important things in our relationship are:

      1) We are friends and lovers who truly love and respect each other and are committed to being good to each other, and

      2) We are patient and tolerant of each other

      I think D would say something very similar if this exact question was posed to him, but a few years ago he actually made a 3-page list of all the little things he loves about me and us, so he might simply say the list. :-)

      Thanks for the question, and for stopping by. Hugs back!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for answering my questions Irishey. I liked your answers. they are good ones for sure. :) D's three page list sounds like a lovely thing to have and refer to. Great idea!

      In answer to your treadmill question, I haven't noticed a problem to date. The treadmill is out on what is like a 3 season porch. It basically has three walls of glass sliders, which open to screens. There is no insulation at all. It gets very cold out there. In the summer it can get quite warm. In general, the elements don't tend to reach it directly. But it lives among extreme temps. Does water come onto your porch? That would prob not be a good thing if that is the case.

      Like you, there is really no other place to keep it here. Usually I put on a bunch of layers and grab gloves and get on the thing for 2-3 miles, every other day or so. At first it is a bit of a shocker it is so cold, but I end up peeling off some layers as I go, as well as the gloves. I like to read or watch something on my ipad while I run inside. Honestly I just can't get motivated, but the break is good because usually I am so good at keeping it up that I get a little regimented perhaps. Time will tell. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Katie. I'd love to make our porch more weather resistant. Basically, it was a large covered deck that we screened in and covered the floor boards with outdoor carpet. We were desperate to avoid mosquitos and this is perfect for that. We do have rain and snow that blows in through the screens, which is why I thought a tarp cover might protect exercise equipment from that, but it wouldn't help with general high humidity - my biggest concern besides extreme heat and cold.

      The floor is elevated so no moisture from below, but it does get wet from rain/snow. I would have to protect the treadmill feet somehow, but shouldn't be too difficult. Right? Yeah. Lol!

      Delete
  7. Good gravy...Irishey!...darn near fell out of my chair when I saw that you had posted!

    I already exercise at least 30 minutes a day...usually more. Oh and housework such as vacuuming and laundry is considered exercise...every 10 minutes burns 25 calories. Vacuuming also exercises your shoulders/arms and laundry incorporates bending over to get clothes out of machines along with up and down stairs to gather dirty clothes and put clean away.

    Here's a question for ya...if a movie was made about your life with D, who would be cast to play each of you? :D

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cat! Be careful! We don't want our smartypants friend hurting herself again. Sheesh. I was going to keep up with the humor here, but thinking of you falling sobered me right up.

      It's great you exercise at least 30 minutes every day. Thanks for the specs on equating housework to "exercise." I don't have stairs in this house and really miss that.

      Hmmm....this is a good question. Let's go for the oldies and how their movie characters were matched up. ;-)

      John Wayne and Kathryn Hepburn.

      Maureen McCormick and Brian Keith (Parent Trap), or MM and John Wayne (McClintock).

      If I had to choose more modern day actors to play us today, or even when we were younger, Tea Leoni, Nicole Kidmann or Jennifer Garner would have to play me. Nicholas Cage, Liam Neeson or Bruce Willis would portray D.

      That was fun. Hugs and blessings back!

      Delete
  8. My lord there is a post here!!! I about fainted away ;). I am joining this crazy exercise / fitness forty days of fun mess. Sigh. I need to make the gym my friend. I need to think of a good question. Let me ponder that while I do laundry.... Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Ha. Ha. Fainting Lucy. ;-) Now why did I just think of that movie "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler singing to Drew Barrymore? Lol!

      Glad you're joining in on...40 Days of Fun Mess. I don't think Willie anticipated we all would give it or own names. Is laundry your exercise? Lol!

      Thanks for commenting, sweetie. Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Hey ya lady! I am going to try and do this challenge but it will be mild!
    I am with susie regarding more coffee!!! I am addicted to the stuff!

    Does spanking or swats count for exercise? hmmmmmmmm????

    Question for you......hmmmmmm Does anyone in RL know about this place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Minelle! Coffee hound here, too.

      I'm sure the spanker burns lots of calories applying spanks and swats, and holding onto a flailing spankee - that seems worthy of being called exercise. I suppose it would depend on how much thrashing about is done by the spankee whether it would qualify as exercise. Hey! Needing to exercise might be a good reason to give if someone cannot keep still. Think an HoH would buy that? ;-)

      Nobody irl knows about my sanctuary. I don't really process anything here, and there are no issues I post about that I need for D to read. I haven't used this place much, but it's just a little getaway isle where I come visit my friends every once in a while.

      Thanks for coming by, M. Hugs to you!

      Delete
  10. Hello! I just found your blog. I completely forgot about the banner thing and the whole posting about the fitness thing. I'm participating, but yeah, I guess I need to add a fitness post to my to do list. Ummm...questions...I'll ask what I'm asking everyone.
    What's your favorite movie?
    Where's the craziest place that you and your hubby have gotten down to business?
    What hurdles did you have to overcome when you began TTWD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome, Rose! I've not done much on the fitness thing. We're going shopping tomorrow, so I will count that as strenuous activity. ;-)

      I don't have a favorite movie, but I enjoy movies from many genres. I've probably watched the Harry Potter movies more times than any others, even more than Bond movies. I enjoy Disney and other kids' movies because I've watched so many with the kids and grandchildren. My favorite genre probably is action/adventure, but I like everything if the movies are well acted and directed, except poorly done spoofs and parodies - bleh.

      I can't tell you the craziest place because it was dangerous and stupid, and you would think we'd lost our minds. Other than that, we prefer taking care of business at home because it's comfortable and the way we like it. That is freeing.

      Oh, my. I don't even know how to explain our hurdles. They include potentially serious health issues that can be escalated as a result of some of the emotionally charged feelings and communication that happen in the normal course of implementing ttwd. There also are complications that resulted from bad baggage in our previous marriages. That history would compound the emotions if we dealt with them while doing ttwd.

      Our ttwd is there, but it is very subtle, not overt in any way. It isn't something I brought to D or have discussed with him in any specific way about us. Discussion has been in passing, more general in nature.

      So, ttwd is not something we agreed to do. It is something I give to him. He also gives some of it to me, naturally, because he sees that I choose not fight him for control. I support him in who he is and what he wants. I'm not perfect in that, but I try very hard every day to show him respect, honor, appreciation, attention and lots of love. He values and seeks my opinion and input, and is attentive and protective of me. The best way to describe the feelings we have is an abiding love. I also respond to him on a deeply primal level. It's wonderful to feel that way.

      My tush isn't on the line, although I'd offer it up within a full DD dynamic if we hit an impasse. We almost always resolve things quickly if there is a difference of opinion or other conflict. We both know there horrible consequences if we are not able to work together on us, for us.

      Long answer, and I think it's more than I've ever put out here on my blog or in comments anywhere else. Usually, I say we are ttwd-lite or dd-lite, because who we are to each other and how we treat each other most closely resembles more traditional roles and a respectful, warm dynamic. Plus, he likes to give lots of love pats and throws in a really good surprise swat at the most interesting times. ;-)

      You thought you were going to get short, sweet answers, didn't you? Now you know almost as much as Willie!

      Hugs, and thanks for coming to find me!

      Delete
  11. HI Irishey, well the comments were nearly as interesting as the post. Don't tell her but I am avoiding Willie for , oh let me see, that would be 40 days. I thought I would come here instead. My question is Have you ever been caught by the kids during a spanking, ? In fact does anyone in real life know about ttyd? I hope you all enjoy your lovely healthy 40 days . I am watching from my sofa. ;)
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. here I am sitting in a very slothful way, eating chocolate and watching some very exuberant ice dancing on the television. Not much movement over here. Hope you are keeping on moving over there. lol. xxx

      Delete
    2. Hi, Jan! I should post a warning for visitors here to come incognito if they wish to hide from Willie. ;-)

      D probably would think nothing of giving me a fun swat in front of the kids, if we all were goofing around. The rotten little monsters would laugh. Hasn't happened yet with them in the same room. He's fairly reserved most of the time, until his ornery side comes out to play.

      Many, many years ago, when my oldest daughter was really young, she snuck out of bed and caught us (ex) in the act of some fairly vigorous sex long after she had gone to sleep, but no spanking going on then. I've been even more super ultra careful ever since to keep adult things under wraps.

      Nobody irl knows about ttwd. I suspect one of my adult daughters knows about ttwd, but doubt she thinks about whether *I* know about it. Rotf!

      I think you burn a small amount of calories while sofa sitting. That goes up slightly if you are watching sports, bouncing around and yelling at the television. I bet horror movies might burn a few extras, plus it elevates the heart rate - just don't think it's the healthy kind of exercise. Lol!

      Glad you stopped by! Hugs...

      Delete
  12. WOW..took me longer to read the comments than the blog.....which by the way had me laughing and nodding...except for the less coffee more water....
    I am going to join you....but does iced tea count as water...it has to right?
    And with Master's coaxing i have joined curves....so on most days i have the exercise covered, He insists on 5 days a week...sugar, i need one piece of chocolate a day to function....but i will try!
    Seriously, have you ever considered writing a book or a column, you would have a large following!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so sweet to me, abby. Hugs for that.

    Tea count toward liquids, absolutely! There are so many lovely teas and herbal teas. I think the main reason coffee or tea is an issue and they do not want you to count that as your sole liquid intake is because of the caffeine in regular tea and coffee. Coffee also is a mild diuretic, so you lose hydration when the goal is to stay at a healthy hydration. Plus, people often add sugars and creams which can have multiple adverse effects if overindulged. I love my French Vanilla coffee - at quasi-espresso strength, so boo on the negative aspects. Chocolate is good for you. Yea! They say dark chocolate is best, but small amounts.

    Good for you on going to Curves. Wish there was one close to me. I've never been, but D's mom loves hers, and she is very fit.

    Hmm, writing a book or column... I shall think about that. I enjoy joining in conversations and playing off the words of others. Perhaps I need to find a way to enhance that into something more productive and helpful than simply leaving little sound bites sprinkled over the internet. Thank you for the compliment, abby, and for stopping in for a visit. I enjoy your company.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi ,JUst thought I would pop in and say Happy St Patrick's Day. Hope you have a good one
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I hope your SPD was wonderful, too. ;-)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Ditto, B. I'm always around somewhere, and you know how to find me. Huge hugs always.

      Delete
  16. It is fantastic to hear other people’s experiences with a lifestyle situation that is so honest and real.

    ReplyDelete

Agree, disagree, discuss, debate, laugh, joke, gnash your teeth or wail to the heavens - with courtesy and respect for me, you and each other.
Your words represent you. Use them with care and common sense.